Who we are

Cherry Street Cats is me (Robin), my husband Steve, Sandi, Michelle, Verena, Vinyse, Derek, Kent, and Connie, a group of dedicated cat lovers who care for a colony of feral cats in the east end of Toronto. I also have a great rescue team of Lesley, Joanne, and Susan. Together we do our best to make the lives better for feral and homeless cats and kittens. 900+ cats helped in nine years!



Wednesday, June 9, 2010

The feral life

It's so frustrating when you hear of people dumping cats, thinking they can care for themselves. The life of a feral cat is hard, scrabbling for food, trying to find shelter, avoiding predators. It's very gratifying to be able to help these cats a bit, at least ensuring they have food, water and shelter and hopefully preventing more from being born and having the cycle continue.

Queenie has learned to forage in dumpsters for food, hence her perpetual dirty state.

I think these guys have learned the sound of the car.

This is one of the black cats that still needs to be trapped and fixed. Aaffien and I did a trapping yesterday but only caught a very annoyed Queenie. Queenie was spayed last year so we just let her out but boy, did she glare at us.

I can't thank Global Pet Foods on the Danforth enough for their generous donations over the last couple of months.

2 comments:

  1. So happy to see the cats are still eating well. I understand the hardship they endure as I have fed ferals now for years. What saddens me is when you don't see them anymore and you don't know why.

    I hope you have a good Summer with donations and fewer cats. You are very special. Hugs, Deb =^..^=x5

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy to see the commitment you have made to the cat colony -- it is heartwarming.

    I wonder if by any chance you have seen my cat, Delilah? She is a fluffy grey cat with green eyes, and with an ID tattoo in her ear (BC SPCA).

    I lost her a year ago and I still miss her (I live at Queen and Woodbine and wonder if she wandered over there).

    I would welcome hearing anything from you at mahtani@utsc.utoronto.ca

    Thanks so much!
    Minelle

    ReplyDelete