Who we are

Cherry Street Cats is me (Robin), my husband Steve, Sandi, Michelle, Verena, Vinyse, Derek, Kent, and Connie, a group of dedicated cat lovers who care for a colony of feral cats in the east end of Toronto. I also have a great rescue team of Lesley, Joanne, and Susan. Together we do our best to make the lives better for feral and homeless cats and kittens. 900+ cats helped in nine years!



Sunday, October 29, 2017

Happy gotcha day Buddy!

It's been six years since Buddy joined our family.  He was one of my first rescues when I just started trapping other colonies.  Buddy was one of a number of cats at a house at Dufferin and Eglinton, and the last one I got. Joanne offered to take him to the TNR clinic but we soon realized he was friendly, he kneaded and purred at the vet.  Buddy had a terrible upper respiratory infection, bad teeth and an ear infection, they thought he was between 3 - 5 years old but once he got healthy he acted like a kitten.

I was all set to take him to a foster home but found myself unable to, so he came home with us, and he's been a delight, a friend to all the cats who come into our home.  Even though he's super friendly, twice he got out of the house and had to be trapped, the last time three years ago was 32 days of hell.

Since that time, I've trapped and/or rescued somewhere between 750 - 1000 cats I think.  This year it's around 85 and I'm tired.  Compassion fatigue is real and I'm worried about burning out, there's been challenges lately, a prior adoption with a sad ending and my spit cats aren't tame and I need to relocate them (always a last resort).  I'm going to try to have a quiet November, the winter is coming and the outdoor cats are hungry, they know what is coming, and we've been getting them ready for winter.





No comments:

Post a Comment