Who we are

Cherry Street Cats is me (Robin), my husband Steve, Sandi, Michelle, Verena, Vinyse, Derek, Kent, and Connie, a group of dedicated cat lovers who care for a colony of feral cats in the east end of Toronto. I also have a great rescue team of Lesley, Joanne, and Susan. Together we do our best to make the lives better for feral and homeless cats and kittens. 900+ cats helped in nine years!



Tuesday, April 20, 2010

There's not just cats who live at the boatyard

I've neglected to mention that in addition to the feral cats who live at the boatyard, there is Harry, an actual biped, who lives there year round. It is Harry's boat that the cats live under and where we store our supplies. It's hard to know what is true and what is myth about Harry. He lives on a boat that has never, nor will ever, been on the water. He seems to have lived there for many years, without running water, but he does have a heat source and keeps up on the news. He's sixty-three and must have some form of income, because I've seen him with cigarettes and a disposable camera.

He's quite the character, calls all the men Johnny and speaks to the ladies in a sing song voice so we'll bring him something, which we do. Every week I bring him a care package of soups and some other treats. He's not shy about telling me what he needs, this winter it was a coat and a backpack, and he's clear about what kind of cookies he likes. When I brought him a winter coat he complained that it was the wrong size so I've learned to do what I can for him but not to become his personal shopper.
On Sunday he was very excited, just having come back from Toronto Island on his bike, with a huge bag of cans.

This is the tortishell who we very rarely see and who unfortunately hasn't been spayed yet. We can't get anywhere near her - just hope I can trap her before she has kittens.

No comments:

Post a Comment