Who we are

Cherry Street Cats is me (Robin), my husband Steve, Sandi, Michelle, Verena, Vinyse, Derek, Kent, and Connie, a group of dedicated cat lovers who care for a colony of feral cats in the east end of Toronto. I also have a great rescue team of Lesley, Joanne, and Susan. Together we do our best to make the lives better for feral and homeless cats and kittens. 900+ cats helped in nine years!

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

A shovelling we will go

We got our first big snow of the season on Saturday. No stay at home snow day for us - we loaded up the car, headed down and started shovelling. We cleared in front of the feeding stations and made little paths for the cats to walk on. Cats certainly don't like snow the way dogs do. It looks like a snowy winter so lots more shovelling to come.

On Sunday I did a trapping, trying to get Henry, a fluffy black cat who showed up a few months ago. He has been spraying and fighting and generally causing trouble. Instead I got a UBC (unidentified black cat). Since it didn't have an eartip I trundled the cat off to the vet. Once sedated, they discovered he had already been neutered, was older, maybe six and had bad teeth that should be pulled out. As much as I would have liked to do dental, I can't spare $400 or $500 for that. He could get hit by a truck next week. That money represents a lot of cat food. He did get eartipped though so won't have to go through that again. I released him on Tuesday and he flew out of that carrier.

I love this photo of Teddy, Jackson and Tina all munching away.

I'm not a big fan of winter anyway, and now that I have the ferals to worry about, I can't wait for it to end.


  1. I agree. I never used to think much about it but now I come home to a warm house and look at my cats and think about the ferals and how theyare coping. At least their bellies are full but I wait anxiously for Spring.

  2. Me again, Robin. The little calico was out with a bunch of ferals for at least 6 weeks that we know of. 5 days ago she walked up to me and meowed but wouldn't let me touch her. Then 3 days ago I saw her again with a feral and she let me pet her head. The next day I went back with a cage and I called for her and I could hear her meowing and running towards me. She let me scoop her up and she was purring. I looked behind her and there was a male following her. SHe hissed at him as if to say, "no more, buddy" and we were off. She is delightful, grateful, adorable. I hope she will be healthy enough to go to a good home. She is off to the vet today. Thanks for your nice comment. You do such wonderful work. Hugs, Deb.