Who we are

Cherry Street Cats is me (Robin), my husband Steve, Sandi, Michelle, Verena, Vinyse, Derek, Kent, and Connie, a group of dedicated cat lovers who care for a colony of feral cats in the east end of Toronto. I also have a great rescue team of Lesley, Joanne, and Susan. Together we do our best to make the lives better for feral and homeless cats and kittens. 900+ cats helped in nine years!



Thursday, April 19, 2012

What a day

Yesterday reminded me of the days when I used to work in film. I got up at 5:30 a.m. and with the welcome company of Joanne we arrived at the Weston and Rogers Road colony at 7 a.m. As soon as we set the traps the cats scattered. So frustrating. We spent two hours waiting with no luck and no sign of the remaining kitten(s). There are still at least four females there to spay, but what can you do, except keep trying. Since I had the spots, later that afternoon, after working most of the day, I went down to a nearby colony where the caretaker told me he had some new cats so I thought why not trap.

Well, the first cat I caught within about 10 minutes was our very own Semi-Socks. Guess he's not really ours, but theirs. No wonder I only see him every few weeks. I hate that he is crossing a busy road. He was certainly happy to be released.
Another 10 minutes later I caught another of John's newcomers, a brown tabby who was limping. We rushed off to the THS clinic. I returned at 9 p.m. to find that they had had a busy evening so about an hour later Tabby went into surgery. The vets called me in to show me why he was limping, his back paws were totally red and raw. Poor thing. They cleaned him up and gave him an antibiotic shot. We'll recover him for 10 days and hope that he heals up. It was 11:30 p.m. before I finally got home, and after scooping litter boxes midnight before my head hit the pillow. That's when I thought why do I do this, but then Connie sent me a cute video of the kittens (one of whom has already found a home) and I remind myself that's why.

No comments:

Post a Comment