Who we are

Cherry Street Cats is me (Robin), my husband Steve, Sandi, Michelle, Verena, Vinyse, Derek, Kent, and Connie, a group of dedicated cat lovers who care for a colony of feral cats in the east end of Toronto. I also have a great rescue team of Lesley, Joanne, and Susan. Together we do our best to make the lives better for feral and homeless cats and kittens. 900+ cats helped in nine years!



Thursday, February 16, 2017

Stubby's turn for dental

Stubby is one of my favourites,  and I had been noticing lately that he hadn't been eating very well and of course I was concerned.  A couple of weeks ago I booked a vet appointment for him and managed to almost get him into a carrier but lost him.  Then I got some expensive BFF pouches and he was eating those but in the last week he rejected them, so I decided it was time to try again.

With Steve's help I was able to get him yesterday so off to the vet we went.  As I suspected his teeth aren't good, well what is left of them, he did have major dental two years ago.  Dr Vlad has taken out the rest of his teeth today, fingers crossed he recovers well.  Poor Stubby gets terrified at the vet and didn't eat last night, unlike Lily, who chowed down happily, even though she is way more feral.
I guess I have to see it as a positive sign, that these cats are living long enough to need all their teeth removed.  If you google life span of a feral cat, you will find many different answers, and I think it all depends on luck, the genetics of the cats, and of course how well they are cared for.  I think our remaining cats are all 10+, but they have shelters are fed daily and receive medical care when needed. Of the nine at the Cherry colony, seven have had dental, they are the lucky ones who have people who care about them!  Although right now I guarantee that Stubby doesn't feel lucky, but he will feel better soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment