Who we are

Cherry Street Cats is me (Robin), my husband Steve, Sandi, Michelle, Verena, Vinyse, Derek, Kent, and Connie, a group of dedicated cat lovers who care for a colony of feral cats in the east end of Toronto. I also have a great rescue team of Lesley, Joanne, and Susan. Together we do our best to make the lives better for feral and homeless cats and kittens. 900+ cats helped in nine years!



Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Why I do this

I have days when I wonder why I do this.  My weekend started out rough, I dropped off a couple of cats and still had a full day of cat stuff and I had woken up exhausted.  Distracted, I didn't the car coming in the next lane and I scraped the whole side of someone's BMW.  I burst into tears and thankfully the woman was so nice to me but it was not what I needed.  Things improved that evening though when Scott (the human) met Liam (the feline) and decided that they were a match.  They sure look like they belong together, don't they.  Two months ago Liam was living outside, now look at him, that's one reason I do what I do.
Liam on his way to his new home with Scott
Here's another one.  This is Howie, 48 hours ago he was a feral kitten I found on the roof of the shed at Maria's on Sunday.  With his eyes looking that way I couldn't leave him behind, so after a tutorial from Connie, we became bottle feeders.  He is doing well, starting to eat on his own and using the litter box. Now I just have to get him healthy.

It was quite the event trying to get him.  I was on a ladder trying to reach him but couldn't quite, and the shed has a hole in the middle, so I wasn't going to take the chance of whether that roof would support my weight.  Luckily Marisa was with me and went inside the shed and reached around through the hole and managed to grab him.  At four weeks, they need no taming, they don't even know to be feral.  He's purring and playing.
Little Howie, looking worse for wear
Oh, and I fed our colony three times, two other colonies once plus transported the mom and seven kittens to Sandi's.  What I didn't get done was any gardening, I just need to find a few hours for myself, but it's another busy week.  Tonight I'm moving the 12 week old kittens Barnum and Bailey to my niece's for socializing, and trapping the next two nights.  You don't even want to hear about my Friday, every hour from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. is scheduled.
Me with the gang at Hank's


Pseudo lets me pat him!
I'm not sure how long I can keep up this pace, but the cats in need never cease.

3 comments:

  1. What a wonderful photo of Liam and Scott. They look like they absolutely belong together. You do such wonderful work. That little kitten would have died without your help. Bless it's heart. Perhaps you should ask someone to cover for you and YOU get some rest. You will burn out before you know it. Sending a hug, Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, Liam and Scott - a perfect partnership!! And your gang looks great, happy, healthy and friendly too.

    Sounds like you do need to pace yourself though. Take care of yourself too, not just all the cats.

    ReplyDelete