Who we are

Cherry Street Cats is me (Robin), my husband Steve, Sandi, Michelle, Verena, Vinyse, Derek, Kent, and Connie, a group of dedicated cat lovers who care for a colony of feral cats in the east end of Toronto. I also have a great rescue team of Lesley, Joanne, and Susan. Together we do our best to make the lives better for feral and homeless cats and kittens. 900+ cats helped in nine years!



Sunday, November 10, 2013

Cat rescue is rarely simple

I've pretty much stopped trapping for the season, but it's hard to resist a cry for help.  A woman I know has been feeding some cats in the ravine area behind her apartment building for the last few weeks.  Holly, the cat below was the first one rescued.  About six months old, she was friendly, and found a home just this weekend.

Holly Golightly

Earlier this week another cat was caught, and also proved to be friendly, so I went to pick her up.  As I was waiting, I caught sight of another cat, a calico, and when I approached her with food she came up to me meowing.  I opened the carrier and in she went.  I thought, fantastic, another one saved.

Well, this one hasn't worked out so well.  Sandi has been fostering and this cat is crazy.  She's clearly not feral, but she hisses and lunges at Sandi when she goes in the room.  We are hoping she is just traumatized and settle down, but aggression is a real problem.  I hate people who just dump their problems.  It's cold and dangerous where she was.  I hope I don't have to put her back but the options are few for a cat who attacks people.  Sandi is a cat person so for her to be terrified is saying something.

Cat rescue is rarely simple.  I also got a call from a tech at my vet, she found out about kittens at an autobody shop, so this week's mission is to get them to safety and warmth.

With the short days, I'm rushing down on my lunch hour to feed the ferals, and I'm down a feeder, so it feels like I'm always doing feral cat dishes and buying food.  We've even run out of room in our recycling bins.

2 comments:

  1. Robin, do you think Rescue Remedy would help the calico? You can put it right in the food or in her water. You can get it at most pet stores and health food stores. Also, if she got one of those diffusors (sp?) that you plug in the wall and I think they are called Felliway diffusors. It is an herbal concoction made for calming down pets. I understand the fear your foster lady has. It is very frightening to be around an aggressive animal. Hopefully, it is just because she is scared and she will calm down. Please keep us posted on her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://cats.answers.com/cat-behavior/how-to-calm-a-fearful-cat is a good article to read. Best of luck with her. Deb

    ReplyDelete