Who we are

Cherry Street Cats is me (Robin), my husband Steve, Sandi, Michelle, Verena, Vinyse, Derek, Kent, and Connie, a group of dedicated cat lovers who care for a colony of feral cats in the east end of Toronto. I also have a great rescue team of Lesley, Joanne, and Susan. Together we do our best to make the lives better for feral and homeless cats and kittens. 900+ cats helped in nine years!



Thursday, November 21, 2013

The winter routine begins

I know it's only November but it feels like winter already.  No trapping for me until spring, just feeding ferals, so I'm happy to spend most of the chilly evenings inside with my cats.

I fell asleep on the sofa one night and Allie took advantage.
 Blinky and Ernie have enjoyed watching the falling leaves and the squirrels cavorting in the yard.
 And Blinky has a new friend close to his own age.
Apollo or Paolo, was a summer rescue who was adopted and then returned.  It's a long story, don't ask, but he joined our gang, and now I'm not sure he's going to leave.  He's such a lovely little guy.
With darkness falling at 5 p.m., during the week I've been feeding the ferals at lunchtime, and my days look like this:  Wake up, surrounded by purring cats, drag myself out of bed, scoop multiple litter boxes, feed multiple cats, get myself ready for work, then make six trips to the car with food, water and bowls for feeding.  Rush off to work, already late, park, walk 10 minutes to the office.  Work for a few hours, eat at my desk, then go back to the parking garage, drive to the colony, feed all the cats, fingers numb all the while, rush back to the office, my lunch hour more than an hour, work for a few more hours, then go home, wash a trug load of dishes and load up food for the next day and of course feed my guys and scoop their litters again.  Good thing I love my ferals, I'm feeding five days a week right now, and it's just that much harder when it gets cold.  I feel even worse for them than for myself, I've provided shelters and hope they find warm spots to curl up in.

No comments:

Post a Comment