Who we are

Cherry Street Cats is me (Robin), my husband Steve, Sandi, Michelle, Verena, Vinyse, Derek, Kent, and Connie, a group of dedicated cat lovers who care for a colony of feral cats in the east end of Toronto. I also have a great rescue team of Lesley, Joanne, and Susan. Together we do our best to make the lives better for feral and homeless cats and kittens. 900+ cats helped in nine years!



Thursday, October 1, 2015

Maybe I am an idiot

I came back from my vacation and got right back at it.  With winter approaching, the trapping window is quickly closing.  I checked out a site I was told about, some cats behind an apartment building that was undergoing construction.  Sure enough, I saw 3 cats and kittens.  The cats didn't appear truly feral.  I went again tonight and was patting one of the cats, about to grab it, when a woman started to yell at me.  It became apparent she was the super, I tried explaining that I wanted to help but she said they were "her" cats and she told me to leave the property immediately.  As much as I tried to reason with her politely, it was of no use, she continued to berate and threatened to call the police, saying I was an idiot.

I had no choice but to leave, I was angry and heartbroken, I felt those cats could be saved, she might feed them but they had no shelters and will continue to have generation after generation of kittens.  I will try calling Animal Services and the owner of the building but I don't have much faith that will work.

I also returned to the colony near mine this week, the feeder was away but I found the three little kittens, two orange and one grey in the machine shop.  I didn't have a carrier with me so I gathered them up and put them in a cardboard box, they are only about 4-5 weeks old so easy to grab.  Thankfully Joanne was willing to take them in.  This morning I got up at (gasp) 5 a.m.! to try to trap there.  I wasn't able to trap the mom but did get another female.  I feel surprisingly awake for having been up that many hours.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Robin. Vay and I have some very good experiences with Toronto Animal Control. If these cats do belong to this woman, she will be required to show proof that they have their licenses. Good luck with TAS and the building's owner. Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are not the idiot - it's the stupid people who think cats are okay living outside and endlessly reproducing. I agree with Styx, get TAS to ask for her licenses.

    ReplyDelete