Who we are

Cherry Street Cats is me (Robin), my husband Steve, Sandi, Michelle, Verena, Vinyse, Derek, Kent, and Connie, a group of dedicated cat lovers who care for a colony of feral cats in the east end of Toronto. I also have a great rescue team of Lesley, Joanne, and Susan. Together we do our best to make the lives better for feral and homeless cats and kittens. 900+ cats helped in nine years!



Sunday, June 9, 2013

New projects


I don't know if you can see the little face peeking out from under the steps but there are four fluffy kittens living there.  This is one of my new projects, on this street there are four females, two males, these kittens and somewhere some kittens that were born a few weeks ago.

One of the feeders has caught three of the kittens and although they are a bit old, we are still going to give socializing them a shot.  I will get the adults all TNRed and hopefully we can find the younger kittens soon and scoop them up.


I managed to get the fifth kitten from behind the factory on Friday.  They weren't easy, took 4 tries and I think the mom will be a real challenge.  Lesley is working on them, amazing that even at 8 weeks they can be so wild.  I really didn't think I was going to get the last kitten when I went to trap on Friday, there was no sign, and I was standing in the very woody area behind the factory, worrying about West Nile, when I heard the snap of the trap.  That's five more kittens, well six with Jessica's, who will be safe and have a life.

On Friday I also scooped up five kittens from someone, got two females spayed and checked out another colony, sadly without my camera.  This one is four cats living around abandoned buildings right in the heart of downtown.  The males are dirty and scruffy and one was mounting one of the females when I was there.  I'm trapping there this week, I have to get ahead of the inevitable kittens.  It's way better to put in the time trapping then try to catch and socialize feral kittens.

In good news, Acer (formerly Mr. Wiggles) who Connie was fostering, got adopted yesterday.  She has Howie right now who is getting so big, soon it will be his turn for a home.

No comments:

Post a Comment