Who we are

Cherry Street Cats is me (Robin), my husband Steve, Sandi, Michelle, Verena, Vinyse, Derek, Kent, and Connie, a group of dedicated cat lovers who care for a colony of feral cats in the east end of Toronto. I also have a great rescue team of Lesley, Joanne, and Susan. Together we do our best to make the lives better for feral and homeless cats and kittens. 900+ cats helped in nine years!



Friday, December 20, 2013

Angus is adopted!

I'm delighted to report that Angus was adopted yesterday.  I'm surprised it took so long, orange and white cats are generally popular, and he's a handsome friendly guy who's been available since the summer but Daniel fell in love and now Angus has a home for the holidays.  Angus came to me this summer he had been living in someone's garage.  His first two fosters didn't work out, and he went to Kathleen, who turned out to be the right fit.  Then we dealt with the challenge of his skin, he was biting at his fur and had scabs.  After steriods and a hypoallergenic food, his fur had grown back in long and luxurious.  Plus I had his teeth cleaned, but it's all worth it knowing he has found a forever home.  That's the tough thing, when you say yes, and rescue a cat, you never know what health issues you will run into.  I am thankful I could help Angus.
Angus - adopted!
Kathleen has been a great foster parent, Angus was her third foster this year.  I'm so lucky to have such great fosters, Susan is fostering Asia, one of the body shop kittens and Simon, the kitten who ran into Global Pet Foods.  It's a good thing he did, he had two abcesses.
Asia
Simon
In other adoption updates, Michelle has adopted Pip, one of the kittens from the last litter she was fostering.  Not a bad failure rate, I think she fostered 15 or 16 kittens this year and only kept one.

I heard from the wonderful woman who adopted the seniors Snowball and Caesar, and there is some kind of good news about Snowball.  Turns out he doesn't have cancer, but has heart and kidney failure.  This was determined with an ultrasound.  It's still a big problem, but those conditions are at least treatable, so I hope he will have more time as a result.  Mai is the best adopter for those cats that I could have imagined and I thank you all for your help with them.

I received a generous and unexpected donation from Dorothea, thank you so much, and she asked about whether I thought that progress was being made in terms of feral cats.  It's a great question, and certainly I think that things are improving.  When I first started feeding more than four years ago, there weren't many resources.  The last couple of years have seen huge changes, with free spay neuter clinics for feral cats, workshops for caretakers, shelter building workshops, all supporting and educating those who care for feral cats.  There is a real community out there and I believe we are making progress, that more and more cats are being TNRed, and those living in colonies are being well taken care of.  I'm proud to be a part of that.  I think I TNRed (Trap, Neuter, Release) more than 70 cats this year, and that's just me, I see so many people doing the same, those efforts will result in less kittens and less feral cats.

For the next few days, with nasty weather coming, I just want to make sure I get my ferals fed so they have full bellies to help them get through the cold nights.

No comments:

Post a Comment