Who we are

Cherry Street Cats is me (Robin), my husband Steve, Sandi, Michelle, Verena, Vinyse, Derek, Kent, and Connie, a group of dedicated cat lovers who care for a colony of feral cats in the east end of Toronto. I also have a great rescue team of Lesley, Joanne, and Susan. Together we do our best to make the lives better for feral and homeless cats and kittens. 900+ cats helped in nine years!



Saturday, June 7, 2014

Setbacks

I worry that my blog has been too negative lately, but there are a lot of challenges in my world right now, cat and otherwise.  My job isn't going well, Steve and I fight a lot due to all the stress, and of course there are the ongoing sagas of Teddy and Buddy.  I wish I could report good news on either front.

Teddy had to go back to the vet on Thursday, he was barely eating at Sandi's.  His infection in his ear hasn't cleared up so he's staying at the vet for now so they can treat it, but when I checked in yesterday he hadn't eaten overnight so that's a worry.  We will just have to take it day by day and hope he turns a corner soon and the meds kick in.

After a week of not trying to trap Buddy, and seeing him and having him run away or seeing him on the camera at the back door in the middle of the night, we decided to try the drop trap.

Steve sat in his office watching the feed from the camera, with the string out the window.  At 230 a.m. Buddy showed up and went under the trap, Steve pulled the string but somehow Buddy escaped.  It was a crushing blow.  We just have to hope he comes back.

In other news, a friend of Steve's who lives in Rosedale found some kittens, and they seemed to be related to some cats I was trying to trap last year so I went and trapped a female, and a kitten, but discovered three other kittens that I couldn't get.  Oddly, it seems there are more kittens this year, there are certainly more raccoons, I think nature is trying to compensate somehow for the brutal winter.

At this point I don't know what to do but press on and hope for better days....

Buddy is clearly our smartest cat, which is working against us, I even taught him to high five just a month ago.

UPDATE: Just got back from visiting Teddy, and taking him some tasty food.  He ate some friskie's chef's dinner while we were there, last night they gave him fluids and an appetite stimulant.  His jaw is making a funny sound when he eats.  He looked so pathetic in his cage, all shaved with his cape, I really hope we can get all these complications cleared up soon.

1 comment:

  1. Robin, bring Teddy some canned tuna in water and see if that will start him eating. It has worked here many times over the years.

    ReplyDelete