Who we are

Cherry Street Cats is me (Robin), my husband Steve, Sandi, Michelle, Verena, Vinyse, Derek, Kent, and Connie, a group of dedicated cat lovers who care for a colony of feral cats in the east end of Toronto. I also have a great rescue team of Lesley, Joanne, and Susan. Together we do our best to make the lives better for feral and homeless cats and kittens. 900+ cats helped in nine years!



Thursday, August 7, 2014

A 28 hour day

I'm just writing this while having a beer and some potato chips at 1045 p.m., after a very busy Wed afternoon and evening and another equally nutty day today.

Andrea and I took on a little outreach project in her hood, a guy with multiple cats, all unfixed, all going outside.  One of the females is missing but we managed to corral the other one yesterday afternoon and take her kicking and screaming to be spayed.  His apartment was totally filthy but he clearly loves his cats, he's a bit of a cantankerous guy,  and will need some convincing to let us take the males to be neutered, they are all flea ridden, he has a cat door that they go in and out of.  We were concerned about 3 Spot going home and running outside so Andrea kindly took her home but that did no go well so today she went back home.
Three spot in a rare calm moment
I stayed for the evening to help at the spay neuter clinic, 51 cats were brought in, that's a lot of cats to be fixed in 5 or 6 hours.

This afternoon I picked up a cat that Carol had trapped, dropped off a trap to John for his feral with dental issues, delivered the cat for recovery, met a new cat sitting client, came home and quickly ate, then met up with Lesley and Reed at the construction site to try to get the mom and her kitten.

Mom showed up and was quickly trapped but no sign of her kitten.  Lesley is my new hero, and let me tell you why.  I was using a new trap and clearly didn't latch it properly because the cat got loose in Lesley's car, but somehow she managed to scruff her and get her into another trap.  What an adventure!

Clara is staying at the vet for a day or two to get IV fluids, and then we will have to see how she does after that.  Pancreatitis is not an easy condition to manage, especially in feral cats.  One day at a time, but it's hard not to remember that's what I said about Teddy.   Complicated medical issues and ferals do not go well together.

But for tonight, I will remind myself that we got two more females spayed this week (well one to be done tomorrow), and one male neutered, and every cat fixed is a small triumph in and of itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment