Who we are

Cherry Street Cats is me (Robin), my husband Steve, Sandi, Michelle, Verena, Vinyse, Derek, Kent, and Connie, a group of dedicated cat lovers who care for a colony of feral cats in the east end of Toronto. I also have a great rescue team of Lesley, Joanne, and Susan. Together we do our best to make the lives better for feral and homeless cats and kittens. 900+ cats helped in nine years!



Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Clara is sick

Our yard sale was a huge success!  Many thanks to all who donated and huge thanks to Sandi, her husband Robbin, Michelle and Susan for working the crowd.  We were lucky enough to be supported by great local businesses, Contemporary Computers, Goods and Provisions, Yankee Lady Cruises, Timeless Nails and Joseph's Barber and Hairstyling, who donated for our raffle.

Sadly I'm already using the money to pay for vetting for Clara.  Clara is one of our relocated cats, she disappeared a couple of months ago when things got busy.  I found her two weeks ago and started leaving food, but then when I saw her on the weekend I realized how thin she was almost emaciated so last night I trapped her and took her to the vet.

Once chubby Clara now only weighs four pounds!  She is dehydrated and her pancreatic enzymes are high and the vet also suspects IBD or worse could even be lymphoma but it's hard to know without doing more tests and after all the bloodwork, sedation, and a night of fluids the bill is already up there.  And the problem with ferals is you can't medicate them and you certainly can't manage conditions long term.  I don't even know if she would stay at the yard if I took her back.  I don't know what to do...I feel responsible for her, as I do all of them.

Clara in the winter in healthier times
One day at at time, I'm off now to try to help a low income guy get his cat spayed, but he's not making it easy, and of course he doesn't think we need to get the males done, even though they all go outside.

Ah the cat rescue rollercoaster.

No comments:

Post a Comment