Who we are

Cherry Street Cats is me (Robin), my husband Steve, Sandi, Michelle, Verena, Vinyse, Derek, Kent, and Connie, a group of dedicated cat lovers who care for a colony of feral cats in the east end of Toronto. I also have a great rescue team of Lesley, Joanne, and Susan. Together we do our best to make the lives better for feral and homeless cats and kittens. 900+ cats helped in nine years!



Wednesday, November 28, 2012

A Kleenex kind of day

I have to say that yesterday was a low point for me.  I took the seniors to the THS, I had run out of options and time.  Sandi who was fostering them left for Florida and I couldn't find another foster home.  We had a home for Meisha, the Himalayan, but he has early stage kidney disease and once the adopter read up on it she changed her mind.

Now I believe the THS is well run, they take great care of the cats, screen well and they get seen by a ton of people, but for me to have to take cats to a shelter, especially older ones, felt like a failure on my part to save them.  I did everything I could, asked everyone, but on this rescue my reach exceeded my grasp.  I guess it's also one of my nightmares to have something happen to me and my cats end up at a shelter, that's why I have made arrangements for them in my will

It was heartbreaking to put them into a cage, I cried and cried about it.  They are lovely cats though and someone will adopt them, at least they have a second chance.

Three years ago we adopted our little Allie in a similar situation.  Her owner had died and she lived in a cage at a vet's for six weeks before we found her and took her home (and she was adopted and returned in that time).  She is fifteen now and is the sweetest thing, just now has kidney disease herself.  I can't be the only person who likes older cats.

The kittens always get snapped up but older cats are great, loving and low maintenance.

I wish I knew what else to say, a lot of people tried to help and I appreciate that.

Dealing with ferals in some ways is so much easier.

Anyway, I wish with all my heart that Meisha and Frosty find homes before Christmas, if only I could have done more, I would have kept them if I could have.

Last night I just curled up on the sofa under a blanket and snuggled my kitties at home.

I don't usually share things like this, but you have to check out the photos of these semi-feral cats in Japan, I think I need to go there, looks like some TNR is needed.
http://www.buzzfeed.com/summeranne/50-amazing-photos-from-cat-heaven-island-in-japan

1 comment:

  1. I feel your sorrow. It's hard that there are so many cats who need a home. I've spoken to the volunteers at THS and lots of the older cats are getting adopted, so hopefully they will have a new forever home very soon.

    Iagree about older cats - I have a little old cat with kidney disease that I'm fostering for Toronto Cat Rescue and he is the sweetest cat. I took him to the vets for a check up and rather than being angry with me, he was so happy to be home again he spent the rest of the evening purring on my lap, and then half the night sleeping on me.

    ReplyDelete