Who we are

Cherry Street Cats is me (Robin), my husband Steve, Sandi, Michelle, Verena, Vinyse, Derek, Kent, and Connie, a group of dedicated cat lovers who care for a colony of feral cats in the east end of Toronto. I also have a great rescue team of Lesley, Joanne, and Susan. Together we do our best to make the lives better for feral and homeless cats and kittens. 900+ cats helped in nine years!



Wednesday, September 10, 2014

How much is a footless kitten worth?

Occasionally I make the mistake of going on kijiji's website, it's a cesspool of sadness in the cats and kittens for sale section.  Some listings are rescues but others are people giving away or selling their cats or kittens for so many reasons, moving, allergies, any number of reasons.  Some ads say first come first served, as if they were selling property, instead of entrusting the life of a cat to a stranger.

One ad caught my eye and I couldn't turn away.  They had seven kittens for sale!  The worst of it was the sliding scale of prices, $75 for the fluffy grey one, $50 for a short haired grey, $25 for a black kitten, and $15 for a black kitten born without a foot.    I thought oh crap, who is going to take that kitten, what if it needs medical attention, and how sad that the kitten supposedly was less valuable.

So I took the cute little black kitten missing a hind foot and he cried so much that I went back and they threw in his sister free of charge.  I tried to broach the subject of spaying but it fell pretty flat and they wouldn't even let me in the apartment.  I'm trying to console myself with the fact that these kittens will have a better life.  Even though they've been living inside they are shy, I shudder to think how many cats may be in there.

My little dirty but not anymore kittens are leaving tonight for another foster home.  I dearly love them and if there was any way I could keep them I would but at a certain point you have to preserve the quality of life of the cats you have, and we have plenty.  I want to be a rescuer not a hoarder.  I'm writing all this down so I ingrain it in my head because I know I'm going to bawl when they leave but now they will have the opportunity to be someone's beloved cats.

1 comment:

  1. I think I would have gone in for the footless one, too. You just never know what condition it would be in. Bless you Robin for doing this. It now has a chance at a good life. Deb

    ReplyDelete