Who we are

Cherry Street Cats is me (Robin), my husband Steve, Sandi, Michelle, Verena, Vinyse, Derek, Kent, and Connie, a group of dedicated cat lovers who care for a colony of feral cats in the east end of Toronto. I also have a great rescue team of Lesley, Joanne, and Susan. Together we do our best to make the lives better for feral and homeless cats and kittens. 900+ cats helped in nine years!



Tuesday, April 28, 2015

A whirlwind and it's only Tuesday

I took a couple of days off last week and went with Steve to Montreal, he had a meeting to attend, so I had a bit of time without cats to feed and litter boxes to scoop.  Montreal has a cat cafe and we had to visit it of course.  They only had eight cats though who were all asleep, my house could be a cat cafe, maybe I should charge people to come for tea and pat a cat.

The kittens at Raven's continue to thrive, here they are a week ago, this week it's time for them to leave the nest so Princess can be spayed and return "home".  It's a long time for a feral cat to be confined.  These kittens have known humans since the day they were born so aren't at all feral.




I'm dealing with three situations this week.  Last night I was in one of the fancier parts of town trapping, what an unexpected spot for a colony, but there they are, possibly ten cats.  We trapped two very quickly and I took my place in line at 630 this morning at the spay neuter clinic.  It's only four per day so it pays to get there early, sadly today they turned people away, that means those cats have to stay in traps until tomorrow.

The CG colony has to be out of their cushy yard set up by the end of the week.  Gloria wants to take in two of the friendlier ones so I need to get them before they scatter.  No luck yesterday and today was going badly but then I was able to just pick up Thelma, a sweet black and white and scoot her into a big open top carrier.  One down.  She's just being vetted and then off to Gloria's, hopefully she adjusts well.

The last situation was so depressing I hesitate to write about it, so I will make it as short as I can.  A few years ago I helped a neighbour with a cat living on her porch, got her spayed and Connie adopted her kitten.  I knew she fostered and had a bunch of cats but we kind of lost touch.  Recently she emailed to say she had become very ill and had been in the hospital for months.  Her house needed to be sold but there were still cats in it that couldn't be picked up to remove them.  I met her niece yesterday and the house was such a mess, I've never seen anything like it.  She had already trapped eight cats but there were four she couldn't get.  I tried to offer some advice and helped her clean up a bit but I think I need to walk away, the cats have been going to Animal Services and I don't know how adoptable they are.  It's too heartbreaking to contemplate, I only trap cats to help them.  It was certainly a cautionary tale for me.

I must go load up the car to feed the colony, then pick up the cats from the clinic, take them to Joanne's for recovery, go to Doug's to feed his cats, go to a catsit meeting, wash a load of feral dishes, scoop some litter, rinse and repeat.

No comments:

Post a Comment