Who we are

Cherry Street Cats is me (Robin), my husband Steve, Sandi, Michelle, Verena, Vinyse, Derek, Kent, and Connie, a group of dedicated cat lovers who care for a colony of feral cats in the east end of Toronto. I also have a great rescue team of Lesley, Joanne, and Susan. Together we do our best to make the lives better for feral and homeless cats and kittens. 900+ cats helped in nine years!



Thursday, April 2, 2015

Three females trapped!

What gets me out of bed at 6 a.m.?  Only cats.  With spring upon us, the priority is to get females spayed so that we don't have a repeat of last week.  At the THS clinic it's first come first serve up to four ferals a day, two per caretaker, so it's best to get there early, the doors open at 7, but I try to get there at 630 a.m.

On Wednesday I trapped a calico at Mystery's spot in the portlands, I had been seeing her on and off for a few months.  Calicos are always female or as we like to call them kitten machines.  Using a stick and string with the trap I got her in about 5 minutes, then I turned around and there was this calico and an orange and white cat too!  They would have to wait for another day.


Oddly and thankfully calico #1 wasn't pregnant.  Hopefully I can get the other before she is.

This morning I went to a nearby colony that still has a few stragglers unfixed.  At 630 a.m. the light is just coming up, and the cats were already out.  It was almost too easy, the first one took 5 minutes, the second one maybe 10, and I was still at THS before the doors opened.  Bonus, they are female and sadly were pregnant, but at least there won't be two more litters of kittens to deal with.

My days have been jampacked with catsitting, feeding and trapping.  I've had to start writing down what I have to do every day with a timeline, some days it seems every hour is scheduled, but it's satisfying getting all these cats fixed.

No comments:

Post a Comment