Who we are

Cherry Street Cats is me (Robin), my husband Steve, Sandi, Michelle, Verena, Vinyse, Derek, Kent, and Connie, a group of dedicated cat lovers who care for a colony of feral cats in the east end of Toronto. I also have a great rescue team of Lesley, Joanne, and Susan. Together we do our best to make the lives better for feral and homeless cats and kittens. 900+ cats helped in nine years!



Monday, August 17, 2015

It's still kitten season!

A few months ago I helped a kitten with a broken rib that I discovered on kijij, thanks to THS he got all fixed up and found a home.  Well last week the same person contacted me and said they had a litter of kittens with their eyes crusted shut and they couldn't afford to take them to a vet.

Avril, who had gone to pick up the injured kitten, offered to foster the kittens only if we could take the mom too, she had seen the house and knew it was a bad situation, unfixed cats and dogs, and obviously they were selling them on kijiji but you can't sell sick kittens.

So now Avril has a mom and kittens in her office, the babies are about 4 weeks old, we took them to a vet and nothing serious, they have eye meds and mom just needed better care and more nourishment.  I don't know how Avril gets anything done, I would just be watching kittens all the time.
I've been helping with a colony near mine with a couple of unspayed females who of course now have kittens.  We trapped two more last week, but the last one is still with mom, we call her Batman, and she is smart and wary.  I'll still be working on that this week as well as a new situation.

A friend works for the city and told me about feral cats living at a city yard just around the corner from Mystery's spot.  I went down and yes, a guy has been feeding for years, all the cats are unfixed and there have been litter after litter of kittens, at least I know where Mystery and her friends came from.  I'll be helping him get those cats spayed asap, there are four females!

1 comment:

  1. It is a tough time of year for any rescues. I'm so glad you were able to get that beautiful family out of a bad situation.

    ReplyDelete