Who we are

Cherry Street Cats is me (Robin), my husband Steve, Sandi, Michelle, Verena, Vinyse, Derek, Kent, and Connie, a group of dedicated cat lovers who care for a colony of feral cats in the east end of Toronto. I also have a great rescue team of Lesley, Joanne, and Susan. Together we do our best to make the lives better for feral and homeless cats and kittens. 900+ cats helped in nine years!



Monday, November 16, 2015

Tortie out of the cold

If you've been following my blog, you know I've been TNRing some cats near our colony, I've gotten five out of six females now.  The black and white will have to wait until spring, I know some people trap all winter, but I don't feel it's safe to return females with a shaved belly in this weather.

Connie and I have started feeding there as well, although a guy that works there feeds, for years they weren't taken care of on weekends, what a heartbreaking thought.

Recently one of the cats I TNRed has been coming up to me and let me pat her so with winter approaching I decided to try to get her inside and see if she's tameable.  Betty is a beautiful dilute tortie.  So on Saturday there she was, and she came over to me, I patted her, then just gently picked her up and put her into my big open top carrier.  Voila!  Geez, she was easier to get into a carrier than half my cats at home....



I took her to Raven's for assessment and good news, Raven pronounces her tame, she has been greeting her at the front of the cage, looking for pats.  I'm so glad, her location is much more dangerous than our colony, after all there must be a reason there are only six cats there even though none were ever fixed until I came along, and these six are young.  Apparently at one point there were 18 or more, what happened to them?  Coyotes, trucks, who knows, but what I do know, is that if a cat can be happy inside it's an infinitely better life.

2 comments:

  1. YAY for you and Betty. I know that Raven will do a great job and hope that Betty and many others find their forever homes soon. If they have been fed and are being cared for, it's possible that others have found forever homes from the workers in the area.

    Maybe the guy was leaving large amounts of kibble on Friday evenings. Are these the cats that had names and shelters that you wrote about a few weeks ago?

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a colony that has existed for years in a city yard but I only found out about recently. I do hope that some of them found homes, but there are coyotes in the area, that's why I'm glad Betty is safe. She is remarkably friendly.

    ReplyDelete