Who we are

Cherry Street Cats is me (Robin), my husband Steve, Sandi, Michelle, Verena, Vinyse, Derek, Kent, and Connie, a group of dedicated cat lovers who care for a colony of feral cats in the east end of Toronto. I also have a great rescue team of Lesley, Joanne, and Susan. Together we do our best to make the lives better for feral and homeless cats and kittens. 900+ cats helped in nine years!



Tuesday, December 15, 2015

What is a cat doing there?!

I may have mentioned a couple of weeks ago that Jackie called me to say she had found a friendly orange and white cat by the Lakeshore and I raced down but he was gone.  She's been looking for him since and no sign until last week when she saw him again in the same spot.  How he had stayed alive in such a desolate spot I'll never know but this time he was warier when she saw him and couldn't get near.  I met her the next day with a trap but no cat.  Friday afternoon we went again and there he was!

We set up the trap and he sniffed around it for a few minutes then ventured in and boom, he was safe.  Luckily Susan had a vacancy at the inn, and as soon as we let him out of the trap discovered he was quite tame.  Not surprisingly a young unneutered male, I wonder if he was a dump.  Well now he's neutered and vetted, he just needs a home.
Where the cat was living

Just trapped

Meet Marvin!
I've almost finished trapping, Lesley and I went to Rosedale yesterday morning to try to get some older kittens, but all I got was a parking ticket, sigh, that's my whole week's budget for cat food for the ferals, and I'm heading back to another colony to try to get a friendly one out.

We took Lionel back to the colony Saturday after his vet stay, I'm feeling a bit worried this morning, four of the dumpster cats, including Lionel, didn't show Sunday or Monday, that's not like them, fingers crossed I see them today, I really can't handle more losses.  I looked at my notebook that I keep and since I started feeding we've lost 17 cats from this colony alone.  I know it's the way it works but every one takes a tiny piece of my heart, no wonder I have so many in my home now, at least I can keep them safe.

UPDATE Just got back from feeding and saw all the dumpster cats, but they seemed skittish and Minky was limping a bit, I wonder if something happened.....

No comments:

Post a Comment