Who we are

Cherry Street Cats is me (Robin), my husband Steve, Sandi, Michelle, Verena, Vinyse, Derek, Kent, and Connie, a group of dedicated cat lovers who care for a colony of feral cats in the east end of Toronto. I also have a great rescue team of Lesley, Joanne, and Susan. Together we do our best to make the lives better for feral and homeless cats and kittens. 900+ cats helped in nine years!



Wednesday, March 27, 2013

I'm a gladiator

This crazy hobby/volunteer job/vocation has lots of ups and down.

On Monday I scrambled and found more recovery space so went back out trapping and got a pretty little fluffy tabby who turned out to be female (and pregnant, sigh).  Thank you Joanne and Raven for doing recovery for me, I couldn't trap without having that.

This morning I met a lovely woman named Jeannie who has been feeding a feral for a year and we were able to trap him in about five minutes, I wish they could all be like that.  Plus she gave me a donation, how sweet.

I'm going back out this afternoon to try to get one more of the elusive DD cats, I can't figure out why they are so hard to trap.  The guy who lives next door to the raw meat filled dumpster parking lot where we feed isn't happy we are feeding the cats.  He would like them to go away.  I tried to explain it's not that simple.

Part of this job is community relations and social work too.

Sandi also sent me a donation so that , in addition to Jeannie's, will help offset last week's vet bills.  I'm trying to get Jersey into THS, he's still not putting weight on that hind leg, and after an x-ray and bloodwork, I'm not sure what else to do, he needs to be monitored by a vet.

At the end of my busy days I like to curl up on the sofa, ideally with a cat or two or three and watch TV, lose myself in other people's problems that don't concern cats.

I was watching Scandal last week and one of the characters was talking about being a gladiator, gladiators don't have feelings, we rush into battle, we're soldiers, we get hurt in the fight we suck it up and we hold it down we don't question.

I liked that quote and I thought being a cat rescuer is like being a gladiator, some people are appreciative of what we do, some people hate cats, but every day we get back up and try to save as many as we can, we don't win every fight, or are able to rescue or trap every cat, but we try.

No comments:

Post a Comment