Who we are

Cherry Street Cats is me (Robin), my husband Steve, Sandi, Michelle, Verena, Vinyse, Derek, Kent, and Connie, a group of dedicated cat lovers who care for a colony of feral cats in the east end of Toronto. I also have a great rescue team of Lesley, Joanne, and Susan. Together we do our best to make the lives better for feral and homeless cats and kittens. 900+ cats helped in nine years!



Friday, March 8, 2013

Oh Mandy

Trapping totals for the week: eight cats.  Jessica managed to get three more from her Scarborough colony, seven there, five males and two females (both of whom were pregnant).

Closer to home, at the DD colony, I only got the one girl (also pregnant) who I've named Mandy.  Turns out Mandy is not at all feral, in recovery at Joanne's she showed her true colours, purring away and happy to be patted.  Time for a new life for Mandy, no more outside eating raw meat behind dumpsters.

Mandy in the trap

It's always a double edged sword when they turn out to be tame, it's great but it means finding a foster home and then a home.

Today I fed at my colony plus two others, also tried to find a mother cat and kittens who were seen yesterday just around the corner from my colony.  Oh, and took four of my cats to the vet and picked up shelters for the Scarborough colony.  All cat stuff all the time.  Time for a drink and a movie.

It feels like it's way too early for all these pregnant cats, didn't we have a hard winter, it sure felt like it.  I hate spay aborts but hate the alternative way worse.

My resolution for this year in order to help as many cats as I can and come out the other side is stick to my geographic region, the travel time doing Maria's colony last year killed me.

I loved the feel of spring today but that means it's kitten season, god help us all.

2 comments:

  1. Oh Robin, I hear ya. They are starting to come in to our local shelter pregnant. My daughter is now volunteering twice a week and I have warned her what the spring and summer will bring. She keeps saying it's rather quiet up there. She's in for a shocker. I hate our area for the irresponsible cat owners. There is just far too much of it. I'm so happy you got Mandy out of the miserable life she led.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mandy looks adorable. Glad she's safe now.

    ReplyDelete