Who we are

Cherry Street Cats is me (Robin), my husband Steve, Sandi, Michelle, Verena, Vinyse, Derek, Kent, and Connie, a group of dedicated cat lovers who care for a colony of feral cats in the east end of Toronto. I also have a great rescue team of Lesley, Joanne, and Susan. Together we do our best to make the lives better for feral and homeless cats and kittens. 900+ cats helped in nine years!



Wednesday, August 7, 2013

A long weekend means more time to save kittens!

A long weekend just means more time for cat stuff.  I fed our colony, thankfully all seems ok there except Harry keeps taking the cats water, it's maddening, and I can't figure out why, there are hoses and taps there.

On Monday a foster home came through so I scooped up the little grey kitten and a grey and white one, also around five weeks old.  The grey one was easy but I spent about an hour trying to sneak up on the other one, and actually grabbed her while I was on the phone talking about other kittens, I did it all without putting down the phone.  The grey and white one of course has a URI but that's two more safe!

And I succumbed to another Free Kitten sign.  This time I called Steve first to give him the address before I went in.  I climbed a dark dingy flight of stairs and knocked.  Thankfully the woman was very nice, she has 5 females, 3 males, none fixed and consequently five litters of kittens.  These situations are maddening, I spend so much time and money spaying and neutering street cats so there won't be all these kittens and then you find someone with a bunch of cats all reproducing, it's an endless cycle and I don't know the solution.  I know vet bills are very expensive!

Unfortunately by the time I discovered her, she had given away most of them, I can only hope to decent homes who will take them to vets and get them spayed and neutered.  There is no such thing as a free kitten.

I did take the last four, two gorgeous tabbies, and two orange and white, all female.


Somehow I'm going to try to help her get the females fixed, just haven't quite figured that out yet.  My other free kitten person, Toni, now won't return my calls and I don't know why.  She still has a litter I was supposed to take and one unspayed female left.  I can't help if people don't call back.  I'm still frustrated at the neighbour near Gloria's big colony I'm working on, I met her at one of our sales, and she told me about the cats, I gave her my number, I said I would help, she never called and now the colony is that much bigger.  I see her sometimes when I'm trapping and she says great job but never offers to help in any way, if they could take up a collection that would be amazing, but most people are passive and want others to solve their problems.  I'm still trying to find feeders for the colony, four days a week is tough, but the location seems to put people off, met a potential feeder last week, never heard from her again.  Ok, that's the end of my rant, no wonder I like cats better than people.  Thank God for people like Connie, Joanne, Michelle, Grace, and Jenny, and the others who have fostered or recovered or fed or transported, who said yes I will help, without them all these cats and kittens couldn't be helped.

I'm taking a bit of a step back, and not really taking any new projects on, or so I say, because I don't want to burn out completely and my financial resources are finite.  But how can I turn away from a cat in need?  That remains the dilemma...because nothing feels better than saving a kitten.

No comments:

Post a Comment