Who we are

Cherry Street Cats is me (Robin), my husband Steve, Sandi, Michelle, Verena, Vinyse, Derek, Kent, and Connie, a group of dedicated cat lovers who care for a colony of feral cats in the east end of Toronto. I also have a great rescue team of Lesley, Joanne, and Susan. Together we do our best to make the lives better for feral and homeless cats and kittens. 900+ cats helped in nine years!



Tuesday, August 13, 2013

I named him Houdini for a reason

My last trapping at Gloria's went pretty much as usual.  I love trapping there, the cats aren't too skittish, so I always get someone, it's more a matter of trying to get the ones I want.  l got one cat we knew to be female and also trapped this guy who has some kind of a deformed eye.
I keep the cats overnight in Connie's garage.  Well in the morning, bright and early, I went to pick them up.  I had hurt my back so Connie was waiting to help me and as she lifted the second trap she joked about how light it was.   Horror of horrors, the trap was empty!  Somehow the eye problem guy had escaped!  I'm still not sure how, I think he pulled the blanket into the trap enough to lift the door.  In all my trapping, must be more than 100 cats, I've never had this happen.  We quickly closed the garage door and hoped he hadn't slipped out.  The thought of him getting out in a strange neighbourhood made me sick.  Connie set up the trap and we waited.  If they are in a confined space and the only food source is in the trap they always go in - eventually, that's if he was still in the garage.  About 9 p.m. Connie called me to see she had him!  Big sigh of relief and off he went to the clinic the next morning to be neutered.  I think the eye is a genetic deformity.  If he was tame, you would remove the eye and stitch it up, but that is an expensive and complicated procedure, and his eye doesn't look infected and clearly he has been able to cope just fine.  I'll be securing the traps from now on!
Cute pic of an older kitten at Gloria's
 Unfortunately there are about 5 or 6 cats at Gloria's the age of the kitten above, too old to socialize,it's sad, knowing that their lives will be lived outside like that whereas just a month or so earlier I could have saved them, but I've pulled out thirteen there already so not too bad.

I feel like I hardly talk about the Cherry St kitties, luckily they are mostly just chugging along, I love caring for them.  I could never walk away from this gang, they feel like my babies too.  I'm happy when I go and see all of them, I wish they could have a nicer location, but at least they are fed and somewhat safe.  One of my other occasional feeding spots nearby has lost some cats  and I suspect coyotes, it's much more exposed.


No comments:

Post a Comment