Who we are

Cherry Street Cats is me (Robin), my husband Steve, Sandi, Michelle, Verena, Vinyse, Derek, Kent, and Connie, a group of dedicated cat lovers who care for a colony of feral cats in the east end of Toronto. I also have a great rescue team of Lesley, Joanne, and Susan. Together we do our best to make the lives better for feral and homeless cats and kittens. 900+ cats helped in nine years!



Saturday, August 3, 2013

My heart still pounds

With all of Mystery's kittens safely rescued, my trapping priority this week was to get Mystery and end the cycle of what has apparently been years of her having kittens.  I showed up and she was there waiting.  I set up the trap and backed away.  In she went, licking up my trail of Fancy Feast and boom, within two minutes, I had her.  Even with all the trapping I've done, my heart still pounds during those moments, especially when it's a cat you really want to get.

Mystery in the trap
Then off to Gloria's where I trapped an older kitten to be TNRed.  There are still probably about 10 cats to do there.  Then there was the agonizing decision of what to do about this little kitten.  We were able to grab him and get him into a carrier, but Gloria hadn't actually seen him eat on his own and I was worried that he might not be weaned and would need bottle feeding.  I'm guessing four weeks old, maybe five max.  Ideally you leave them with the moms for a bit longer but not too long so they are still easy to socialize, and hopefully easy to catch.  But I hated leaving that kitten behind, especially during yesterday's torrential rainstorm.  I don't want to wait much longer, I'm also short of a foster home for this little guy or girl.
I wish they could all be saved.  Frankie, who was an older kitten at Gloria's living there just two weeks ago got adopted this week!  Yay for Frankie, he won't have to scrabble for food during our cold winters.  I want the same for this cutie.

No comments:

Post a Comment