Who we are

Cherry Street Cats is me (Robin), my husband Steve, Sandi, Michelle, Verena, Vinyse, Derek, Kent, and Connie, a group of dedicated cat lovers who care for a colony of feral cats in the east end of Toronto. I also have a great rescue team of Lesley, Joanne, and Susan. Together we do our best to make the lives better for feral and homeless cats and kittens. 900+ cats helped in nine years!



Monday, March 24, 2014

Thirteen years worth of kittens

I've been helping a woman on social assistance who used to have many many cats but now just has three, one of them is a 13 year old cat who has had litter after litter her whole life since she also has a male she refuses to neuter.  It sounds like she had a few litters a year, and they used to take the kittens to No Frills to find them homes.  Ginger had one kitten a few weeks ago who sadly died, so on Friday I took Ginger to the vet to be spayed, it's about time that poor cat has a break.  Lori also had the CH kitty, who went to Special Ones Rescue.  She kept one kitten from a previous litter, and I took him with Ginger and got him neutered.  So that situation is taken care of, I can check it off and move on, glad there won't be any more kittens there.

I have to admit I felt a bit annoyed when I went Friday morning to pick them up, I had already been up for a while taking care of my cats, and doing my catsitting, and there they were in their robes watching their TV much bigger than mine, and here I was spending hours taking their cats to the vet to be fixed and paying for it, but it's about the cats, and if I didn't do, it wouldn't have happened, that much I know for sure.  It might be time for a bit of an outreach break, it can be financially and emotionally draining.  Clearly I'm not cut out for social work.  I still have a few cats to neuter at Colleen's, and she does call me saying she's run out of food periodically, but I don't have any more ongoing projects.  Besides, it's time to deal with the outside cats, I've got trapping booked for this week.

On the way to the vet
I've been catsitting a lovely older polydactyl named Puss.  His person is away for two weeks so I go twice a day to take care of him, it seems like a vacation taking care of only one cat after my routine at home.
Puss
The Keiko saga goes on, she was returned to Rick on Thursday evening, who took her back with open arms.  On Friday I got an email from Andrew saying he had changed his mind again and wanted her back.  Rick and I consulted and decided no, she can't keep bouncing around, cats aren't sweaters that you try on and return.  Her next home needs to be a forever one.

1 comment:

  1. Some people just seem to be born to be takers, but as you say it's not about them, it's about the cats, so good on you for fixing this situation. Right call on the Keiko non-adoption too!

    Puss looks like a treasure. Isn't it strange to feed just one cat? Haven't done that at my house for many years!

    ReplyDelete