Who we are

Cherry Street Cats is me (Robin), my husband Steve, Sandi, Michelle, Verena, Vinyse, Derek, Kent, and Connie, a group of dedicated cat lovers who care for a colony of feral cats in the east end of Toronto. I also have a great rescue team of Lesley, Joanne, and Susan. Together we do our best to make the lives better for feral and homeless cats and kittens. 900+ cats helped in nine years!



Monday, April 14, 2014

Afterwards...

I didn't sleep well at all Saturday night, I kept seeing the image of Audrey's mangled body in my mind. Of course now I'm terrified he will come back with his dog even though the guy who saw it and kind of knows him assures me he won't bring the dog back and feels bad about it.  That's not good enough, it's happened twice and two cats are dead.  As soon as I can get more information about him I will be pursuing it with TAS.  In the meantime, Avril went down in the morning, Steve and lunch and us again in the late afternoon to make sure he wasn't there.  I don't want to leave the cats alone.  I'm still so angry.  We have sacrificed so much to take care of these cats, all those days going down in snow and frigid weather to make sure they have full bellies, and then to have her die, not from an accident or illness, but because of an irresponsible (and that's being polite) person.

I did another run to Bowmanville yesterday with Karen's help.  We were supposed to get four older kittens but could only manage two, the rest hid under dressers and under the bed.  Those two went to THS along with 3 seven week old kittens but this week two other cats there had kittens, so there are still a bunch of 8 month olds, 12 four week olds, and now nine newborns.  It's a bit daunting, but we will just keep plugging away, it's just so far, and her availability isn't very workable for picking up the cats.

With all going on this weekend I probably spent about 10 hours each day on cat stuff so I'm headed back to work exhausted.  It will be a relief just to sit at my desk.  Oh, except I have to go feed and try to trap Bright Eyes, she isn't eating much, something is up.

Every day I think about Teddy and try to figure out what to do.  I've asked vets, other rescue people, and everyone has a different opinion, from don't do the surgery and euthanize him to do the surgery and find him a home.  I managed to briefly pat him while he was eating yesterday and his spine is bony and he's covered in mats.  What I know for sure is I have to do something to help Teddy.

Hopefully I will have some good news soon.  I wish I had taken pictures of the kittens yesterday, they were very cute.  At least they will be fixed and off to good homes very soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment