Who we are

Cherry Street Cats is me (Robin), my husband Steve, Sandi, Michelle, Verena, Vinyse, Derek, Kent, and Connie, a group of dedicated cat lovers who care for a colony of feral cats in the east end of Toronto. I also have a great rescue team of Lesley, Joanne, and Susan. Together we do our best to make the lives better for feral and homeless cats and kittens. 900+ cats helped in nine years!



Saturday, April 12, 2014

We've lost another....RIP Audrey

Today was one of the worst afternoons imaginable.  It started well, I took a pregnant cat to the clinic this morning and helped out, the weather was great, and off we went to feed.

As we pulled up to the dumpsters we heard yelling and somebody comes out saying something about a hurt cat.  We run over to discover Audrey on the ground unable to move.  The dog who killed Biffy last fall was back, he got loose and managed to get Audrey before anyone could stop him.  It's a bit of a blur, Steve ran to get a blanket, I was yelling at the guy, and by the time I got back to Audrey she had died.  The guy was lucky I didn't take a two by four to him or his dog.  I immediately started calling Animal Services and he grabbed his dog and took off.

RIP Audrey
In tears, we drove Audrey to Animal Services and filed a complaint.  The problem is I don't know his name nor does anybody else.  He stores a boat there but the man who runs the yard is away and the witness doesn't want to be involved but says he won't bring his dog back.  That's not good enough for me, or for Audrey, what a hard short life she had.

She was one of the cats trapped from a hoarding situation in the Beach last year, she went to TAS for a month, was deemed too feral to be adoptable, as were many of the cats, so relocation was the only option.  We took three, and I rarely saw Audrey, only this week I discovered she was living under a building there.  Poor cat went through all that and survived a brutal winter only to die needlessly because an irresponsible person (and I'm being polite) here, let his dog off leash, even though he knew this dog had killed a cat in the exact same location.  Chances are I will see him again and I honestly don't know how I will keep my cool.  I'd better not see that dog again though.

It's times like this when I wish that I had never even gotten involved, sometimes the heartbreak is too much to bear.

3 comments:

  1. That's disgusting, Robin. I would find that guy and have him charged. Someone must know his name and address if he stores a boat there. Don't let up until he pays for this. Too many get away with animal abuse and that's exactly what this is. He let his dog kill.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My heart goes out to you - so sorry beautiful Audrey had to go this way. I believe I would feel just as you do. I would have trouble keeping my cool with such an ignorant hard-hearted person.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry Robin, it must be very hard to know that there's no way to keep your ferals safe all the time. You do the best you can for them.

    So very sad, RIP Audrey.

    ReplyDelete