Who we are

Cherry Street Cats is me (Robin), my husband Steve, Sandi, Michelle, Verena, Vinyse, Derek, Kent, and Connie, a group of dedicated cat lovers who care for a colony of feral cats in the east end of Toronto. I also have a great rescue team of Lesley, Joanne, and Susan. Together we do our best to make the lives better for feral and homeless cats and kittens. 900+ cats helped in nine years!



Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Saving Teddy

There's been a lot of thinking and discussion lately around what to do about Teddy and his ears that need surgery.  I was feeling daunted by the procedure and the amount of money it would cost but then Sandi met a woman in Florida who had just had the procedure done on her cat.  I spoke to her and what she told me gave me hope.  Now this was a tame indoors cat but the cat is 12 years old and has had ear problems for 6 years.  Her cat had the surgery, no problems or complications and now is totally fine.

I can't turn away from Teddy especially with all that has happened lately.  I can't leave him in pain nor can I just decide to euthanize him so we are going to help him.  I have a sanctuary lined up as a possibility in case he can't go back to the colony.  We have to at least try.  I know it's a lot of money but   helping Teddy and all the cats that I can help represents the thousands I can't.  Every cat and every animal has the right to lead a dignified life free from suffering.  I feel as responsible for Teddy as I do for every cat in my home so I want to give him a chance.

We've started an indiegogo campaign and are on our way to raising the money for the surgery.
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/cherry-street-cats-teddy-s-vet-bill#home  If we can save Teddy it will be worth every dollar.






Yesterday I was feeding and Ulli, who runs the boatyard, is back so I told him what had happened with the dog.  Coincidentally DJ (without his dog) had also just shown up - first time since.  Ulli was furious and went over to talk to him.  It was a bit of a scene, Ulli yelling, DJ lamely defending himself.  At the end of it the agreement was that he wouldn't bring his dog back.  Small consolation for Audrey, but without DJ's last name and address there is little more I can do.  I have to tread lightly, I need Ulli to stay on side, it's only his permission that allows us to be there.  It's a bit of the wild west there and seems everyone wants to avoid the authorities at all cost whereas law abiding people like myself have no fear of that.  I find it maddening, I try to be a good person, and guys like this get away without consequences.

No comments:

Post a Comment