Who we are

Cherry Street Cats is me (Robin), my husband Steve, Sandi, Michelle, Verena, Vinyse, Derek, Kent, and Connie, a group of dedicated cat lovers who care for a colony of feral cats in the east end of Toronto. I also have a great rescue team of Lesley, Joanne, and Susan. Together we do our best to make the lives better for feral and homeless cats and kittens. 900+ cats helped in nine years!



Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Soldiering on

Tuesday night was a very successful trapping night.  First the a**hole who took his cats from his home to live in the industrial woodlot called to tell me that one of them was back and she was pregnant.  I zipped down and he just herded her into the trap, she is that tame.

Then off to my east end cat dumping site where I caught one of the adult females.  Just as I did, Maria called to say that she trapped the pregnant calico!  Whoops, only two appointments at THS so one went to the vet.  Getting the pregnant ones is always bittersweet.  For Maria's colony that only leaves one female, after 19 cats TNRed, 19 kittens rescued in seven months.

Yesterday, though, I had a meltdown, when I was told that two of the cats are tame, the one from the woodlot, and of course the dumped female.  I'm clearly burned out, drained physically, emotionally and financially.  All I could think is that I just can't deal with one more thing, especially tame cats needing a spot.

I felt better after I picked up the two grey 4 month old brothers and delivered them to Anna, their new foster mom.  Such nice kittens.  I'm glad I can save the ones I can, but there are so many, and there are still more at the dumping site.  I've come to realize that one way or another they have to go somewhere.

Mostly though I feel like taking a two by four to the people who just abandon their cats and leave us rescuers to pick up the pieces.  I can't just walk away once I've seen them, even if it means going into debt, and being overwhelmed, but I will have to take a break very soon.  Being sick never makes anything better or easier either.

1 comment:

  1. you are doing a wonderful job TNRing all those cats and removing kittens so they have a chance at a decent life. it is very emotionally draining and you have done so much to make the lives of so many cats and kittens just a little bit better.

    ReplyDelete