Who we are

Cherry Street Cats is me (Robin), my husband Steve, Sandi, Michelle, Verena, Vinyse, Derek, Kent, and Connie, a group of dedicated cat lovers who care for a colony of feral cats in the east end of Toronto. I also have a great rescue team of Lesley, Joanne, and Susan. Together we do our best to make the lives better for feral and homeless cats and kittens. 900+ cats helped in nine years!



Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Those early morning thoughts

I'm clearly not a morning person (maybe that's why I have cats instead of dogs), and in those early hours around 4 or 5 a.m. when I can't sleep is when I feel most hopeless.  Some days the situations seem overwhelming.  

Since being back, it's been non-stop.  My suitcases still aren't put away, there is laundry everywhere, I'm overstressed, underslept and underfed.    I just hope I don't end divorced, broke and jobless as a result of cat rescue, in the middle of the night it feels like a mug's game, but after some hot chocolate, and some good news, I begin again.

Last night, with the handy dandy drop trap, I got the last female at that laneway colony with the cross eyed cat.  And Scarborough Gayle, now 3 for 3, trapped an older kitten, just down to 2 older kittens there.

This is a picture she took of Fancy in the trap.

But it's the kitten colony that really has my IBS on overdrive.  The building is threatening to have the cats removed, and last night they were huddled in a stairwell shivering.  None of my cat rescue contacts can help, but Natalia is a powerhouse and together we have found a couple of spots.  For now five are safe.  I had one absolutely adorable one in my laundry room for a few days who I thankfully had a THS appointment for, that kitten will be snapped up this weekend guaranteed.

We won't be able to get all the kittens out, some are too old, but every one out is a victory and hopefully we can educate management about TNR for the rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment