Who we are

Cherry Street Cats is me (Robin), my husband Steve, Sandi, Michelle, Verena, Vinyse, Derek, Kent, and Connie, a group of dedicated cat lovers who care for a colony of feral cats in the east end of Toronto. I also have a great rescue team of Lesley, Joanne, and Susan. Together we do our best to make the lives better for feral and homeless cats and kittens. 900+ cats helped in nine years!



Thursday, February 20, 2014

Helping out at the clinic

Last night I volunteered for a few hours at the Toronto Street Cats spay neuter clinic.  Twice a month volunteer vets and others have a free TNR clinic.  Here in Toronto we are very fortunate to have free spay neuter services for ferals cats.  All the volunteers last night had already put in a full day at their jobs but came to spend the evening helping control the overpopulation of street cats.

I have brought cats to the clinic before but this was my first time helping out.  I met caretakers who had come all the way from Brantford and Niagara Falls with cats to be fixed.  Now that's commitment and dedication.  Caring for feral cats can sometimes be isolating and I've found this winter very difficult, worrying about the cats throughout all this nasty weather and trudging down in the snow and cold, always hoping my car can get out of the laneway.  My back went out this week and all I can think is that I have too many dependents for this to happen.  So it was inspiring and uplifting to spend some time with others who have the same passion.

I think almost 40 cats were spayed and neutered last night, more positive steps forward.  Now I just have to worry about the heavy rain coming overnight, I don't want the cats' shelters to flood.

No comments:

Post a Comment