Who we are

Cherry Street Cats is me (Robin), my husband Steve, Sandi, Michelle, Verena, Vinyse, Derek, Kent, and Connie, a group of dedicated cat lovers who care for a colony of feral cats in the east end of Toronto. I also have a great rescue team of Lesley, Joanne, and Susan. Together we do our best to make the lives better for feral and homeless cats and kittens. 900+ cats helped in nine years!



Monday, May 5, 2014

More good news than bad

I realized it's been almost a week since I posted, well it's been a busy week with more good news than bad thankfully.

Freddy, the lovely shy orange kitty that Joanne has been fostering, found a home this week!   A wonderful couple adopted him, he's a true success story, he went from being living outside for the first three months of his life, to being brought inside, in a cage in an antiques store, adopted out to a house with 2 dogs, returned, then I got involved.  Joanne has done such an amazing job with Freddy and now he has a wonderful home, his other life had he not been rescued, would have been a hard one.

Freddy
I took two females in to the Street Cats clinic to be spayed, and one had a terrible abcess on her face poor thing.  I love volunteering at the clinic, another 45 cats spayed and neutered in one night!
The clinic where the cats come out for recovery
One of the cats recovering after their surgery
 Poor Teddy's right ear was filled with blood on the weekend so I can't wait any longer, I've booked his surgery for next week of course I still have to trap him but the amazing part is that we've raised over $3500, almost enough for his surgery!  I'm awe inspired by all the compassionate people out there and so profoundly grateful that we have a chance to save Teddy.

I've been trying to figure out a solution for a colony near me, whose feeder, a lovely older woman named Gloria, is moving in a few weeks.  The cats are fed and have shelter in her back yard but no longer.  We did speak to a neighbour who sounds agreeable to at least let us feed, except there is no us as yet, and I am unable to take on feeding another colony.  So still some things to be worked out there.  I caught two of the four kittens that the one unspayed female had about six weeks ago.  I really need to get the remaining kittens and the mom especially with all the instability there.

It's May and there are kittens everywhere it seems.  I'm off to Scarborough tomorrow night to check out a new situation, but it sounds like there are already a few litters, ugh.  I really need to clone myself or not have a job....but the job helps pay for all this.  Those three kittens I was fostering cost about $3 a day just to feed, then's there deworming, flea treatment, there is no such thing as a free kitten.

No comments:

Post a Comment