Who we are

Cherry Street Cats is me (Robin), my husband Steve, Sandi, Michelle, Verena, Vinyse, Derek, Kent, and Connie, a group of dedicated cat lovers who care for a colony of feral cats in the east end of Toronto. I also have a great rescue team of Lesley, Joanne, and Susan. Together we do our best to make the lives better for feral and homeless cats and kittens. 900+ cats helped in nine years!



Monday, August 27, 2012

Finally I sit down

It's taken me until today to find time to sit down at the computer and update my blog.

Thursday night Ian and I did the tiresome commute to Weston and Lawrence for more trapping.  Much to his shame, we stopped at KFC to get bait, luckily no one we knew saw us.

Again, in a short period of time, we caught the last kitten, but momma was nowhere to be seen.  A talkative truck driver told us there was a woman across the street who used to feed them there and when we went over there was momma, but no luck trapping her.  Sadly, at the same time, we returned one of the fluffy orange kittens, he just wasn't taming and at his age it would have been an uphill battle.  There is still hope for his friendlier brother Cheddar.
The kitten skulks around the trap

But he can't resist the KFC
Gayle from Scarborough also did her first trapping that same night and amazingly, got the mother cat, now we will have to work on the kittens.  Robin the calico also got spayed on Friday so it was a full carload.  I'm always happy when I fill all my appointments.

On Saturday I did my first adoptathon for Toronto Cat Rescue at Global Pet Foods on the Danforth.  Donna and the staff were great and we found homes for four kittens.  It was a fun and exhausting but ultimately very rewarding day.
My first adoptathon

All the kitties in the window, they were very popular

Paddington, one of the kittens who got adopted, he will be a handful.
Sunday we fed our ferals and I'm posting this picture as a reminder of why I do all this, so no more have to live like this, next to a dumpster, lying on garbage.
It can be infuriating talking to some people about cats, I talked to a guy today near our colony who moved his pet cat to an industrial area and lets her outside.  Of course she isn't spayed and had kittens but surprise, they have disappeared, probably eaten by coyotes.  I hope I can at least get that poor cat fixed.

There are a lot of ups and down in the cat rescue business, but every cat I get fixed or find a home for is an up.

No comments:

Post a Comment