Who we are

Cherry Street Cats is me (Robin), my husband Steve, Sandi, Michelle, Verena, Vinyse, Derek, Kent, and Connie, a group of dedicated cat lovers who care for a colony of feral cats in the east end of Toronto. I also have a great rescue team of Lesley, Joanne, and Susan. Together we do our best to make the lives better for feral and homeless cats and kittens. 900+ cats helped in nine years!



Monday, December 22, 2014

Sometimes there is heartbreak

With this crazy cat world I inhabit, there is lots of good news, so many saved and homes found for, but sometimes there is heart break too.

People always ask do you want the good news or the bad news first?  Let's start with the good news, it seems Tonks has finally found a home.  Shannon is going to adopt him when she's back from her vacation!  I'm so excited that he will finally have a home of his own and some stability.
Tonks
Now for the bad news.  Life is not always fair.  Michelle, who feeds at the colony, but took the last year off to care for her mother dying of cancer.  Still getting over the recent loss of her mother, she is now dealing with the death of her beloved PIP, who succumbed to FIP just the other night, only 18 months old.  Pip was a kitten she fostered along with his siblings, tiny, dirty and malnourished, he was lucky enough to live with her and be loved for his short life.  RIP little Pipster.
Little Pip as a kitten
And Bear, the 20 year old cat I fostered briefly this spring and was adopted by a wonderful man in Orillia, died last week from kidney failure.  At least she had months of love to make up for her years of neglect.

And for me, sadness of sadness, my Stubby is not proving to be adoptable.  I thought maybe he was just understandably scared at the vet, but at Raven's he is doing no better.  I visited him yesterday and he was hunched in the back of the cage, wouldn't meet my eyes, there was no recognition there. Raven has been dealing with ferals and strays for 15 years and says she isn't sure if she's ever had a cat at the same level of miserable.  He's eating well but that's it.  I'm surprised and disappointed but I believe it's best to release him.  Not every feral cat can adjust happily to being inside.  I'll continue to do my best to care for him at the colony as I have been doing, at least his rotten teeth are gone.  Fancy Feast every day for my Stubby!

1 comment:

  1. You do wonderful work and I'm sure he will do well under your care. So sorry about Pip. Deb

    ReplyDelete