Who we are

Cherry Street Cats is me (Robin), my husband Steve, Sandi, Michelle, Verena, Vinyse, Derek, Kent, and Connie, a group of dedicated cat lovers who care for a colony of feral cats in the east end of Toronto. I also have a great rescue team of Lesley, Joanne, and Susan. Together we do our best to make the lives better for feral and homeless cats and kittens. 900+ cats helped in nine years!



Thursday, May 10, 2012

Hi ho hi ho, it's off to trap we go

Well, I wouldn't want a week go by without trapping so Tuesday night I set out to get Cherry, the new cat living kitty corner to our colony.  After this long without kittens, I was determined to catch her before that all ended.

And trap her I did, but oh my god, what a feisty thing.  Usually when you cover the trap they settle down, but not her.  She hissed and growled and thrashed around.  What did they discover when they went to spay her yesterday?  She had no uterus, so was already spayed, but no eartip.  What a strange thing.  The vet thinks she is about three years old, I can't imagine she ever belonged to someone.  She didn't eat last night so I may have to release her early, occasionally the really feral ones won't eat in captivity.  I'm on one of those streaks right now, nothing is working quite right, Hippo keeps getting his cone off, so he has to be resedated (up goes the vet bill), Cherry turns out to be already spayed, two nursing moms last weeks, sigh.   I guess it's like every job, they all have frustrations.

I realized that it was May of 2009 that we first got involved with the colony.  I saw an article about the cats and thought hey, I could feed once a week.  Look where that got me. Three years later I feed 19 cats four times a week, have them all fixed, and have TNRed many other cats.  I think my tally is 40 + cats spayed/neutered and about 25 - 30 that I have helped find homes for.  Not bad for three years worth of cat rescue.  It's kind of like getting braces at age 30, I don't regret it, and the end result was great, but no way would I do it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment