I know everyone else is sad that the long weekend is over but I am relieved. With Tina at home, not eating, just lying in her carrier, all I could do was wish for Tuesday morning for the vet to reopen.
We took her in to the vet first thing, and he had a look at her. She let him examine her, it is still shocking to see her bony shaved body. She was extremely dehydrated and I remain concerned about her ability to recover, whether or not she has cancer. If she does, it is an easy decision, but in the meantime, as we wait for the biopsy results, I worry she is suffering, and I just can't imagine her getting better enough to live outside again.
These are the difficult decisions you deal with in feral care, what to do when they are old, when to let go, it's hard to apply the same standards as you would with your own cat, but we love the ferals, especially Tina, just the same.
So, because everyone loves her so much, we are going to give her a little longer, to see if being on fluids and other meds will help.
It was a tough weekend, very emotional. We've had to euthanize many of our own cats over the years and none have looked as sick as Tina did.
I hope I'm proven wrong and she recovers.
Wow, this is a stupid hobby I've chosen, I'm getting pretty crispy around the edges, there just has been so much going on the last two months.