Who we are

Cherry Street Cats is me (Robin), my husband Steve, Sandi, Michelle, Verena, Vinyse, Derek, Kent, and Connie, a group of dedicated cat lovers who care for a colony of feral cats in the east end of Toronto. I also have a great rescue team of Lesley, Joanne, and Susan. Together we do our best to make the lives better for feral and homeless cats and kittens. 900+ cats helped in nine years!



Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Lots of trapping and no camera

I went to the west end last night to trap and forgot my camera.  I didn't expect to have much luck since last time I didn't get anybody, so I decided to switch it up and try an evening.  Well, boom, boom, within 20 minutes, two cats in two traps.  We then set up the drop trap hoping to get one of the calico females or the tabby guy whose injuries didn't heal.  After an hour no luck so I went into the shed of horrors to see if I could find any kittens.  Immediately I found two tiny kittens, one calico and one black.  Unsure of what to  do as they seemed very young I called around and tracked down Heather and emailed her this terrible photo from my phone.

She estimated the kittens to only be 2.5 weeks so they would have to be left with the mother.  As hard as it was, I put them back, I am sure one of the calicos is the mom, she just sat there staring at me.  Now I just have to hope I can grab them again in a couple of weeks.

Meanwhile, as all this was going on, we noticed that Hippo (the injured one) had gone under the drop trap  so we got him too!  What a night.  Off to Joanne's to drop them all off.

This morning I took Hippo to the vet to see what they can do for him, the other two will go to the THS tonight to be spayed/neutered.  On my way back from the vet this morning I witnessed a tiny kitten run across the road and get hit by a car.  A few people stopped but he was dead.  Not a good way to start the day but it reminds me why I do all this.

More tomorrow on how everyone is doing.


No comments:

Post a Comment