Who we are

Cherry Street Cats is me (Robin), my husband Steve, Sandi, Michelle, Verena, Vinyse, Derek, Kent, and Connie, a group of dedicated cat lovers who care for a colony of feral cats in the east end of Toronto. I also have a great rescue team of Lesley, Joanne, and Susan. Together we do our best to make the lives better for feral and homeless cats and kittens. 900+ cats helped in nine years!



Thursday, May 17, 2012

Tina to the vet

Scruffy beautiful Tina is everyone's favourite, usually you show up and she is happy to see you, to eat, and get a pat.  It has been so upsetting this last week, seeing her looking ill and not eating.  We've been trying to catch her to get to the vet and last night, finally, we got her.  Sandi, just back from Florida, met me there, and we just fed and tried to pretend all was as usual.  She kept wandering off just out of reach.  At long last I managed to get next to her and just grabbed her with my bare hands and ran to the open top carrier that I have that is so handy for this type of thing.  I managed to get her in and Sandi slammed the door.  What a relief.
Tina just a few weeks ago
This morning I waited for the phone call from the vet.  I hate this part, where I only have minutes to make a decision about a cat's future.  As we suspected, all of her remaining teeth are bad.  The vet ran bloodwork to make sure her general health was ok, he thinks Tina is 10 or 12, and she's now very skinny and matted.  The bloodwork wasn't bad so we decided to go ahead with the dental and pray that Tina can recover and have more time with us.  We did the same thing with Hank in the fall and he is doing well.  Mind you, this is an expensive proposition but Tina is worth it.
The hungry Tina we know and love
What a couple of days this has been.  The orange male and white female were neutered/spayed last night and are at Joanne's recovering and Heather from TCR has found a foster home for the three older kittens so Connie will just have the two babies to take care of.  I'm tired, and I'm emotional, I could not have stood saying goodbye to Tina today, I just have to stay positive about her recovery.

Is it the weekend yet?  I may just collapse on the sofa, oh wait, cats to feed, cats to return, one more kitten to rescue, and my poor neglected garden (and husband) to tend.  Rest is over-rated.

No comments:

Post a Comment