Who we are

Cherry Street Cats is me (Robin), my husband Steve, Sandi, Michelle, Verena, Vinyse, Derek, Kent, and Connie, a group of dedicated cat lovers who care for a colony of feral cats in the east end of Toronto. I also have a great rescue team of Lesley, Joanne, and Susan. Together we do our best to make the lives better for feral and homeless cats and kittens. 900+ cats helped in nine years!



Wednesday, July 4, 2012

The count

Between last night and this morning it was a crazy 12 hours.  It included four cats trapped, two really bad bruises and one cell phone left behind and heroically recovered from a laneway across the city by my husband at 5 a.m.  Unfortunately all this left no time for pictures.

A team headed west last night.  Lesley stayed at Maria's to try to get one of the females while Kathrine and I went farther west and trapped two of the older kittens at the new spot.  There is still the momma to get and more kittens.  Although Lesley had lots of cats sniffing around the traps but no luck.

Home at 11, off to bed, up at 6, down to the yard where Tory and I attempted to trap two of our cats with horrible mats.  We almost got Teddy but he wasn't far enough in.

We did get Minky, who had a tail full of burrs and finally Morris, our last unfixed cat in the colony.  Minky is 6 - 8 years old apparently and of course has bad teeth but as much as I would like to I can't do dentistry on all our ferals.  I wish I could, I love them all, but there are 18 of them, it's hard to justify spending $600 to pull out teeth when she could be hit by a truck tomorrow.  I go back and forth on dentistry.  If she wasn't eating, then probably, but she has been fine.  There are many people who can't afford to spend that kind of money on their own cats.  Clearly I'm trying to make myself feel better about my decision.

Morris is a young cat, only about two years old, and was a nice simple neuter, what a relief.  Now to get poor Teddy, his skin is raw where a big mat pulled off.

In the midst of all the trapping last night, Jackie called to say she saw five kittens where she has been feeding at the portlands, guess that's tonight's project.

No comments:

Post a Comment