Who we are

Cherry Street Cats is me (Robin), my husband Steve, Sandi, Michelle, Verena, Vinyse, Derek, Kent, and Connie, a group of dedicated cat lovers who care for a colony of feral cats in the east end of Toronto. I also have a great rescue team of Lesley, Joanne, and Susan. Together we do our best to make the lives better for feral and homeless cats and kittens. 900+ cats helped in nine years!

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Filling my quota

There is a spay neuter clinic tonight and I have five spots booked and I was bound and determined to fill them all, and I have.  I have two 14 week old kittens, one grey female, and two other rather sickly adults, possibly female, to get all these I went to three separate locations.  Just to give you an indication of what it takes to TNR five, let me give you some details.  Stop me if you get bored.

First I booked the appointments and arranged recovery spots.  On Sunday morning I drove to Dundas and Bathurst (I live in the east end) and dropped off a trap to Robert, a surrogate trapper.  Sunday afternoon after the rain we fed our colony and managed to trap a kitten, drove the kitten to Woodbine and Danforth, got home about 7 p.m. Then at 8 p.m I got back in the car, drove to the Portlands to try to trap a female there.  I got a phone call from Robert saying he got the grey female, so I abandoned my trapping, drove to Dundas and Bathurst, picked up the cat, and took her to Joanne's at Coxwell and Danforth for holding.

Monday I transported Nellie and Stella from Joanne's to a temporary foster home at Yonge and Summerhill, then drove to Scarborough to pick up Minky, returned her to the colony and fed.  Monday evening back to the Portlands, waited around for an hour or so, no luck.

Tuesday after work I went to our colony to try to trap the kitten I spotted on Monday, but no sign so I drove to Scarlett Road to try to trap three older kittens and the mom.  I got two of the kittens right away but not the mom or the other kitten after an hour and a half of waiting.

I joined Lesley at a newly discovered colony off Rogers Road and since I still had two spots and two empty traps we thought why not and got two cats very easily.  There are still many more there but Lesley will go back, she has rescued four kittens so that's great.  Poor cats, they all seem skinny and sickly.  Then I drove to Connie's near me, dropped off two cats in traps, then to Joanne's at Coxwell and Danforth with the kittens, and then home for 10:30 p.m.

Today I have to leave work at 4 p.m., get the cats from Connie, get the other cats from Joanne, go to the THS for the clinic, then meet Sandi at the colony to get the other kitten.  Later this evening I will pick up the five cats and take them to two recovery homes and on Sunday or Monday I will have to return them to their original locations.  If the two kittens turn out to be tame like the others we have to figure out what to do with them.  I'm tired just typing all this.  Plus my cell phone just died and my brake pads need replacing, both overused from cat rescue.  I have to thank Connie and Joanne, I couldn't do any of this without their help, they are both so dedicated to cats.  I love the cat community I have become a part of.
My car last night

One of the cats at Lesley's new discovery

Another pathetic cat
This reminds me a bit of my production coordinator days but then I had production assistants to do all the driving, I just sat at a desk and organized it all.

1 comment:

  1. First chance you get, sit down and have a glass of wine. You are amazing.